BUZZART IS BACK & IT’S ALL GREEN
The KZNSA Gallery’s biggest local-only Christmas fair is open and runs until 12 January 2020. Not to be missed!
The festive season was already kicked off at the opening party on Thursday 21 November with live DJs and the arts café open for food and drinks.
This year’s Buzzart theme of ‘BEING GREEN’ focuses on goods and activities, that are recycled, up-cycled, reworked, previously loved, home-grown, indigenous, organic, carbon friendly – and beautiful.
As calls for climate change grow louder and people all over the world speak out about climate change and environmental catastrophe, it is incumbent on all of us to find ways to live greener and consume responsibly.
Artistic director of the KZNSA, Angela Shaw is encouraging shoppers to “avoid the busy malls and do your festive and new year shopping in your local neighbourhood instead, while supporting independent designers and makers. Not only does it take the stress out of the festive season, but it also reduces our carbon footprint and puts income back into the local economy,” Shaw adds.
Even though each one of this year’s artists, designers and artisans have produced a diverse variety of gifts, artworks and crafts, they all have one thing in common…to limit their impact on the planet!
By using sustainable materials, cutting down on packaging and single-use plastics and re-using / re-purposing, their work is promoting a zero waste lifestyle.
WHO’LL BE THERE ?
* Internationally renowned designer, Amanda Laird Cherry and Louis de Villiers’ Collaborative Clothing Capsule
* Surf, Street, Skate Zone – Granadilla Swimwear, Zigzag Magazine, Simon and Mary hats, Sealand Bags, A Love Supreme beach towels
* Plant Zone – Indigenous house plants for your Christmas table décor and Christmas trees from Gods Green Gifts, Dennis Dyas of Urban Muthi, Skokiana nursery, Eyako Green (recycled billboard plant bag range), Magic Bean Foundation (crochet planter bags from recycled plastic bags), Bonsai installation by Art Bouy, Bren Brophy.
* Kids Zone – Books, décor, clothes & stuffed toys
* Art – collectable Sthenjwa Luthuli original works, Grace Kotze and Janet Solomon paintings, Nikhil Tricam, Nindya Bucktowar, Lindani Nyadeni, Lungisani Ndlovu, Lindokhule Khumalo, Fiona Kirkwood, Karla Nixon, plus Ready to use frames
* Photography – Cedric Nunn, Samora Chapman, Helen Walne, Lisa Beasley, Keri Muller, Jerome Stoffels, Garth Walker, Madisa Buthelezi
* Art books & publications – specialist books and magazines at great prices
* Upcycled & Organic Processes – Birgit Jewellery, Carole Paxton plant-dyed textiles, spectacular upcycled clothing and bags from Leandi Mulder, ZStitch and Pattern Nation
In addition to the Buzzart fair, a number of activations and exhibitions will be on offer to gallery visitors:
Café and Shopping evenings – every Thursday the Arts Café and BUZZART will stay open until 20.00 for shopping and delicious meals under the Acacias. These evenings are aimed at the whole Family, so bring the kids along after work or the beach …and make the most of Durban’s fabulous Summer weather.- Every Tuesday & Thursday / GLASS BOX – From 10h00 – 14h00, award-winning Independent publication, Ja. Magazine, hosts free zine, collage and writing workshops.
– LIVE MUSIC – With Tony Cox and daughter, Thuli Cox, on Thursday 19 December, 19h00
First Thursdays – evening trading and live music on Thursday 5 December 2019 and Thursday 2 January 2020, 16h30 – 21h00
– Previously loved books and clothes vendors in the courtyard every Sunday from 24 November – Sunday 12 January.
By way of a guide to visitors to the gallery looking for the perfect locally-produced gifts, each week has been themed to focus on particular offerings:
* WEEK 5 – 16 December – Focus on Books this long-weekend
* WEEK 6 – 23 December – Stocking-fillers and last-minute gifts
* WEEK 7 – 30 December – New Year Party clothes
* WEEK 8 – 6 January – Back to School with books, bags and
Note To Editors:
Find HIGH – RES images of participating artists and designers online here.
Issued by: Tumbleweed Communications
083 627 7249
073 983 0316
KZNSA Gallery,166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood, Durban
Thursday 14 November 2019 – 12 January 2020